I'm curious: what are your 2015 social media predictions?
Thanks to Gary Zidek of WDCB News Public Radio at the College of DuPage for asking me this question and for producing this podcast episode.
How 2014's Ice Bucket Challenge Broke the Ice for 2015
In the interview, we talk about how the Ice Bucket Challenge set the stage for 2015.
My Top 2015 Social Media Predictions
1. It's all about the camera.
It’s no secret that everyone loves pictures, but did you know . . .
We covered 2015 image strategies back in November.
2. Instagram is now bigger than twitter and will outgrow LinkedIn
3. Two words: mobile + video
Facebook and YouTube account for almost 40% of mobile internet traffic
4. With 1 Billion plus video views perday, Facebook will take over from YouTube as the video leader.
5. ALL platforms will become more feature-rich so that's there more reason to make you stay and be engaged. See Facebook messenger, which suggests you think of it as free texting.
6. Ads will become more prevalent everywhere.
7. You’ll be able to click and buy products and services inside every social network.
8. Apps will become the new sites.
My most shocking revelation . . .
9. Google will become less relevant – as a search engine, but Gmail will continue to be strong.
10. Google+ will grow as a place for communities, like gardening and causes.
11. Ello will become a refuge for people who want real privacy.
12. A new social network, launched by a publisher, product, or celebrity will rise up and snatch attention.
How about you? What do you see in your crystal ball?