As Halloween trends into a major holiday, why not tap into the promotion potential and be part of the revelry?
For the past two Halloweens, I’ve promoted my business by posing as a PR Witch. How do I get visibility? By judging the Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce’s costumer parade, of course. That’s me over there getting ready to size up the little ghosts and goblins in the 2005 parade.
I missed it this year. Because I chose to go to Big Seminar in Atlanta, I sent my first-line back-up judges: my bookends, the oldest and youngest of my three kids.
Seriously, I get a big bang out of this. But, I could get an even bigger PR pop than just showing up by sponsoring the parade and sending out a press relesase to publicize it.
What can you do to promote your business next Halloween? Consider these options:
– send out a press release [preferably with video] on or around October 1, at least 3 weeks in advance of your event or promotion
– participate in local events to raise your profile
– partner with collaborative businesses and brew up a bubbling promotion
– sponsor a spooky story, coloring/art or pumpkin carving contest and post the results on the Web
– use the keyword "Halloween" in your online releases with a relevant reference to the holiday and your event or special offer
– email your list with a limited time offer
– host a costume contest/party/reception for adults and/or children, depending on your audience -this could be virtual or real
– establish an annual tradition that your customers and communities anticipate each year
– decorate your store with a traffic-stopper like the flower-arranging gorilla that happened to inhabit a storefront in our downtown for a week or so
– send out a clever Happy Halloween mailing with a bewitching call to action
– take complimentary photos of kids in costume and set them up on your site with the parent’s permission
For some spooky Halloween retail stats [from 3.3 billion in 2005 to an expected 5 billion in 2006], check out the ABC News "Is Halloween the New Christmas?" story.
Then watch a video with a Halloween greeting from me . . . http://tinyurl.com/ympprc . . . using helloWorld from VMdirect on my magic webcam.
Like this article? Leave a comment below and sign up to receive more ideas like these at www.transformmarketing.com