Did you get your Google+ project invitation yet?
Update July 1, 2011 Found a possible detour to the Google+ invitation closure.
Last night I got an invitation to join Google+ and along with it was an invitation to invite 500 friends. Wow!
Update June 30, 2011: According to Reuters, Google is closing invitations. Found this update about 20 minutes after this post went live. So, for now, I have to take back my offer to extend invitations. Apologies for that, but I will keep a waiting list and will send invitations when the doors open again.
I'm giving away 50 invitations throughout my social networks. If you'd like one, leave a comment or DM me with your email address.
Google has great timing. Today is Mashable Social Media Day and tomorrow is the start of the July 4th weekend. How big is this news?
Remember when Google announced Buzz and then Wave? Yeah, that was big news, too.
This time, I think Google's got it figured out.
In a post called "Introducing the Google+ project: Real life sharing, rethought for the web," Google says,In this basic, human way, online sharing is awkward. Even broken. And we aim to fix it. We’d like to bring the nuance and richness of real-life sharing to software. We want to make Google better by including you, your relationships, and your interests."
Need more information about the Google+ project?
You can also check out Google's YouTube channel with videos like this one.
To give you an idea of how the Google+ interface looks and works, I made a quick slideshow.
Google+ Project Invitation What to Do After You Get Yours
1. Set up your Google profile, if you haven't already. You'll be asked to fill in a few blanks, upload a profile pictures and add links to sites you want to profile.
2. Choose and name your circles. You can always add or change later, but why not start out right?
3. Invite people to join you. Think about this one. If you get 500 invitations, you might want to extend them to your network only.
4. Post something and start connecting.
5. Get your family on board. This might be one of the biggest benefits of Google+ - you don't have to convince them to set up a Facebook page first.
6. Adjust your privacy settings.
7. Find some sparks or topics you want to follow.
What do you want to know about Google+ ?