Gary Vaynerchuk is coming to Chicago tonight! I'll be there. Because it's Gary V Day in Chicago, I'm sharing this post from October 9, 2008 with 20 tips and a video. Enjoy! And...yes, I'll be back with a report on what it's like to meet Gary live. Thanks and congratulations to Kally Olexa for bringing Gary to town on his Crushit! book tour.
How does DNA relate to personal branding and community building? Read this post to find out.
On twitter, Gary Vaynerchuk, host of Wine Library TV: Gary Vaynerchuk's daily wine video blog, shared a link to his New Media Expo presentation where he talked about how personal branding is in your DNA. At almost 48 minutes, the video is well worth watching [especially to hear Gary talk about his personal DNA], but if you don’t have the time right now, take a few moments and read these highlights.
Gary Vaynerchuk’s New Media Expo Presentation – My Top 20 Takeaways
- Understand who you are and execute it – examine your personal DNA
- “Legacy is greater than Currency” – the quote on Gary’s favorite t-shirt and a reminder that you don’t want to go for the quick sale, instead you want to build equity in the world
- Two things that will absolutely win this game: community and content
- Monetize: Google the words you want to talk about and look at who’s advertising to that audience, click on the ads and contact them about sponsoring you
- Become part of the conversation in your space, allowing at least 1-3 hours a day to comment
- Where should you be? EVERYWHERE!!!
- Open as many platforms as you can
- When you comment, leave a solid response that shows you understand the space
- Search for your name every single day
- Take what you can and build on it
- Produce a show and own your niche – it’s a gold rush out there
- Use Viddler instead of YouTube; you can add your own logo to Viddler
- Uploading to YouTube is a huge mistake; you’re promoting their brand, not yours
- Work 17-18 hours days on your projects
- Understand what you want – you have to go with what’s important to you whether it’s being at your kids’ soccer games or owning the New York Jets
- Stay on brand; @garyvee is Gary’s twitter id. He says it was a huge mistake.
- You are going to control your message anymore; that ship has sailed. You will be defined by the universe.
- Dominate your niche, no matter how small, and find the players who pay to advertise in your field and go after them.
- Answer every single email, even if you get 250 a day like Gary does
- Know what’s important to you, turn down opportunities if they conflict with your priorities
Video: Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV talks about Building Your Brand in a Web 2.0 World
Personal Branding-DNA Profile: Take a Peak into Your Passion
Let's start with the top two takeaways:
Well, what is your personal DNA brand? If you've lost touch with your passion or you like so many things so much you’re not sure about your true love, ponder these questions and listen for answers to help you focus. Could your passion be Alf Season 2 – the example Gary uses in the video?
- What do wake up excited about every morning?
- What do you search for online?
- What magazines and books do you read - why?
- What do your friends ask you about?
- What topics do know more about than most people?
- Where do you love to go?
- What did you like to do as a kid – why?
- What would you do if money didn’t matter?
- What are your doing when you’re having so much fun you lose all track of time?
- What kind of legacy do you want to leave – for who and why?
How about you? What would you say if someone asked you: What do you live for?