Ultimate PR Secrets, our virtual seminar featuring million dollar public relations pros, kicked off today with a presentation by Dave Lakhani. Back in June 2006, I met Dave at an Internet marketing seminar in LA. At that time, I was just wading into the edge of the water. Today, I feel like I jumped into the middle of the ocean - but now I know how to swim.
Dave's a very approachable and encouraging guy. Still, it's a bit intimidating to interview someone with Dave's credentials. . .
Dave Lakhani's been described as a "Marketing Genius," "Business Acceleration Strategist" and "Multipreneur" by his peers and the media. Dave's accomplishments include developing dynamic strategies to drive record-breaking growth and increases in sales in more than 500 businesses in the last 10 years. An in-demand speaker, author and trainer, Dave's ideas have been applied by major corporations and organizations such as IBM, the U.S. Army, Rogers Media, Micron, GE, Wizard Academy and many more.
Dave's two best-selling books, Persuasion -the Art of Getting What You Want and The Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week. Dave's advice is frequently seen in magazines including Selling Power, Sales and Marketing Management, Entrepreneur, Business Solutions and PC Magazine. Major media appearances include Business Radio Network, The Business Connection, The Today Show and dozens more. Dave is a Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
Highlights from today's interview:
- 0ver 70% of news is "placed news," which leaves lots of room for story coverage
- third-party endorsements strengthen your credibility
- telling compelling personal stories is powerful and effective
- pick up on "transformational mechanisms" - anything that could relate to a story you want to tell
- 7 Steps to to take to get started - let's look at these 3
1. Come up with an interesting and relevant story to tell to an audience that wants to listen
2. Be the news, watch the news and know what's needed
3. Give them a media release that tells your story and creates curiosity
- engage changing PR strategies and leverage tools like YouTube, Google Video and blogs to build expert status
Next Up: Jody Colvard on podcasting