What’s working in global PR and media relations right now? For answers, dive into Cision’s 2021 Global State of the Media Report, “The Go-To Source for Becoming Journalists’Go-To Source.” Access your copy here. Note: all graphics via the report. Cision named this blog to its top 50 PR and top 50 Marketing and PR blogs.
Conducted from February 1 to March 1, 2021, Cision’s 12th annual study is based on a survey of 2,700+ journalists in 15 countries.
The report features:
- Top challenges impacting the media today
- Technology’s influence on the way journalists evaluate stories
- The types of stories journalists are looking for this year
- Best and worst days and times to pitch and follow up
- Fastest ways to get on a journalist’s “block/don’t call” list
- Inside tips to build and maintain successful partnerships with journalists
A few takeaways . . . on some fresh takes and some classic must-dos.
PR pros need to build highly-targeted media lists. Yes, of course, but what next?
Do your homework before contacting the journalist. One reporter said, “99% of those emailing me have never read a story I wrote.” If they have, they must not have mentioned it.
Wants: research, graphics and invites to interview experts
Hungry for: Positive News – who isn’t it these days?
Ways to PR Pros Can Help Journalists
- Be a trendspotter – tip them off on what’s to come
- Time it right. 60% of journalists love Mondays
- Wait to follow up out and then check in in the morning two to three days later
- Include images: when asked which multimedia or data elements have you included in your articles over the past 6 months: 81.7% images, 44.6% videos, 42.7% infographics, 39.3% social media posts
2021 Journalist PR Content Preferences
78.3% news announcements/press releases
67.5% original research
44.7% Invitations to events
43.4% Initial ideas for story development
33.7% invitations to meet spokespeople virtually or in person
Key takeaways include info on:
- How the events of 2020 continue to affect the media
- The factors shaping how journalists work with PR pros
- Trust (or lack thereof) in the media?
- Technology’s influence on the way reporters cover stories
- Do’s and don’ts for press releases and pitches