If there’s one thing every speaker and author could use it’s more publicity.
“I See Your Name Everywhere,” the title of PR/PR founder Pam Lontos’ new book, was also the topic of her presentation to NSA-IL today. Pam covered what you need to know to get more publicity, media attention and bookings!
My top takeaways:
– start at the top and work you way down – it’s often easier to get into national publications
– keep at it: one author sent a new press release to Oprah every week – for four years! – before he got on the show
– write the book; you’ll get instant credibility
– contain media kit costs by limiting your information to one page
– produce an easy to reproduce and update speaker promotion book you can print-on-demand
– don’t be in a rush to get industry book reviews
– contact trade industry publications directly to place 800-1000 word articles
– author popular articles that can run over and over again – one of Pam’s clients’ articles ran over 120 times!
– grab attention with your headlines that list benefits or solve problems
– get in the habit of responding to news immediately with a press release
– tie your news into a special date on Chase’s Calendar of Events – today is Pi Day!
– accept every media interview – the smallest connections can pay off big time
– be patient, one story took almost two years to place in Fast Company
What’s your dream media opp – magazine, radio or TV?